Community
Welcome to the City of
COMO, TEXAS
Como is an incorporated community on East Caney Creek  at the junction of  State Highway 11 and  Farm Road 69, on the Louisiana
and Arkansas Railway, eight miles Southeast of Sulphur Springs in Southeastern Hopkins County, Texas.  The area was first settled
around 1846,  when Ferdinand Carroll established  a  teamsters camp  on the  Jefferson Road  on  East Caney Creek.  In 1858  Red
Collins and  Lonnie Ticer  opened  a  store  in  the  vicinity.   A  second  store  opened  in  1866.  A  post  office,  named Bacchus, was
established for the community in 1870 but  the office was renamed Carroll's Prairie in 1876.  In the late 1870s the East Line and Red
River  Railroad  was  built  through  the town.   In 1879  the  name of  the  community  was changed  to  Carrollton.   In 1894,  to  avoid
confusion with the town of Carrollton near Dallas, the name was changed to Como at the suggestion of  local settlers who were from
Como,  Mississippi. By 1885  the  town had  a  population of  200.  It had six  general  stores,  two  steam  gristmills and  cotton gins,  
a wagon maker, a blacksmith, and a saloon.  Lignite coal  was discovered  on  the property of J. F. Smith, and by 1900 it had become
one of  the town's leading industries.   A settlement of miners of  Mexican descent developed east of Como  near the mines. In 1910,
after  much of  the town located south of  the railroad  tracks burned down,  the  townspeople laid  out a new  town north of the tracks.  
It was built around a square with a bandstand in the middle.  In 1914 Como had a population of  900.  It had  Baptist,  Methodist, and  
Christian  churches,  two  banks,  an  electric  light   plant,  and  a  weekly  newspaper,   the  Como  Headlight.   The  community  was
incorporated in 1932.  In the early 1930s most of the local mines closed down.  Many Como residents moved away,  and by 1933 the
town's  population  was  only  392.  In 1948  Como had  five churches,  a  ten-teacher school,  sixteen businesses,  and an estimated
population of 450.   After 1948  the  town grew  slowly.   In 1989  the  reported  population  was  625  with  thirteen  businesses.  In the
early 1990s it had 585 residents and twenty-nine businesses. The population grew to 621 in 2000. Today there are 702 residents.

(Information courtesy of the
Texas State Historical Association)
Home
City Ordinances